How Krishna Consciousness Became Revived in India

When Srila Prabhupada was preaching Krishna consciousness in India in the 40's, 50's, and 60's no one was interested to take it seriously. Not even one person stepped forward to give his life to assist Srila Prabhupada in his mission. Because Srila Prabhupada had been ordered by his spiritual master, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakur, to spread Krishna consciousness to the English speaking world and because he had been given a free passage on a ship that was coming to New York, Srila Prabhupada took the message of Krishna to America in 1965. It was there in the USA that Srila Prabhupada was given by Lord Krishna within several years so many thousands of young men and women sacrificing their entire lives to serve his mission. It was only after Srila Prabhupada brought some of these western disciples to India that the people of India began to take the Krishna consciousness movement seriously. At that time in India everyone was giving up their own culture and becoming inclined towards western culture. When the Indians saw that the westerners were totally embracing their Indian Krishna culture this deeply touched their hearts, and gradually over many years many thousands of Indians have also become inspired to give their entire lives in the service the Hare Krishna movement.

Srila Prabhupada's Disciples in Surat, India in 1970

Srila Prabhupada's Disciples in Surat, India in 1970

Testimonials From Our Satisfied Subscribers

Testimonials From Our Satisfied Subscribers - Premal Shah
The Ultimate Self Realization Course is where a person discovers love for Krishna. It has been the turning point of my life.

"As water is to a man so Krishna is to a parched soul." So the soul is always fearless when it is in harmony with Krishna and always dependent on Him. This course is an opportunity for all seekers in spiritual life to understand scientifically, systematically, and logically about the science of Krishna.

Every morning at the table my breakfast nourishes me physically to face the day. Then in the privacy of my bedroom your daily email enlightens and enlivens nourishing my spirituality. This e-course helps me to live my life Krishna-centered and harmonizes all my relationships. There is an affinity between Krishna and the soul, and this course has given me an answer to my question of why we exist. I am on a beautiful journey in my life following the sign posts of my spiritual master, His Grace Sriman Sankarshan Das Adhikari, who always points out according to time ,place and circumstances following Guru, saintly teachers and scriptures.

And often when I fall I pick myself up again and carry on with the aid of His Grace Sriman Sankarshan Das Adhikari following his teachings. Along the road I have picked up many treasures of his books like "Truth Works", "Uttama Bhakti", and "Conquer your Mind and Senses." They are always by my side to comfort and guide me. Among my other treasures which I have gathered are also Bhagavad-gita As It is and Srimad Bhagavatam by ISKCON Founder-Acarya: Srila Prabhupada, which I am sure I share with others.

I am sure my fellow travelers and any other travelers along the same path will benefit as I have by this guidance.

Yours sincerely,
Premal G. Shah

Answers by Citing the Vedic Version:

Question: Must the Spiritual Master Be a Live Person?

Please accept my humble obeisances
All glories to Srila Prabhupada and his sincere followers

I have a strong desire to find a spiritual master and I know soon I will find one. In a recent "Thought for the Day" you mentioned these points:

1. Take shelter of the bona fide spiritual master
2. Accept initiation from the bona fide spiritual master
3. Obey the instructions of the bona fide spiritual master.

I have been told by many devotees that I need only to take Krishna or Srila Prabhupada as spiritual masters that I only need to study Srila Prabhupada books and writings. Is this is true that the spiritual master does not have to be a living person?

N.R.

Answer: Follow Prabhupada's Order: Become Disciple of His Disciple

Do you want to follow Srila Prabhupada or some foolish, miseducated, neophytes who are telling you to not follow Srila Prabhupada's teachings?

Srila Prabhupada said not to make a guru in the air, that we should make guru concrete. Srila Prabhupada instructed us that after his departure the new devotees would become initiated as the disciples of his disciples. Therefore anyone who wants to truly follow Srila Prabhupada must become the disciple of one of his disciples, instead of following some concocted idea that he can be Srila Prabhupada's direct disciple. In 1977 just days before his departure Srila Prabhupada said that he would not be accepting any more disciples. Therefore since then it is not possible for anyone to become his direct disciple. The only available option is to become a disciple of one of his disciples. This is the traditional system known as the guru parampara system that has been going on since time immemorial. In this regard Srila Prabhupada states in his purport to Srimad Bhagavatam, Second Canto, Chapter Nine, Text 43:

"One who is now the disciple is the next spiritual master."

I trust that Srila Prabhupada's desire for you is now crystal clear. If not, you can write me for further clarification.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?