Make Your Welfare Work Perfect

In this material world there are many types of welfare activities that are regularly going on. This is certainly appreciable. However, any welfare activity which does not deliver the suffering people from their entanglement in the cycle of birth and death is imperfect and incomplete. Therefore if one wants to render the best possible service to the suffering humanity, he should fully dedicated his life for delivering everyone from birth and death. This is the mission of ISKCON, the International Society for Krishna Consciousness.

Srila Prabhupada, the Topmost Welfare Worker

Srila Prabhupada, the Topmost Welfare Worker

Answers by Citing the Vedic Version

Question: Is Chanting Impotent While Facing South?

I have been chanting the mahamantra in front of the deity of Lord Sri Krishna. I do my daily chanting in front of Him. The deity is facing the north and I sit or stand before Him, facing the south, and do the chanting.

However, recently, I heard a Swamiji (a Krishna Bhakta himself) speaking on the television channel that chanting the name of God facing the southern direction will bring no benefit whatsoever, because Yama is the demigod of the south . From then onwards, my mind has been disturbed because I would like to see Lord Sri Krishna face to face and do the japa. Sitting or standing facing any other direction is inconvenient to me as I have to turn my head sideways to look at Krishna.

My doubt, highly venerable Gurudeva, is it really not right to do the chanting, facing Krishna (towards the south direction)? Is there any restriction like that according to Vaisnava principles? Please clarify so that I can accordingly change the position of my sitting.

Ram

Answer: Chanting in All Directions is Fully Potent

Krishna is omnipresent. Therefore there is no direction you can turn where you are not facing Krishna. Also Lord Caitanya teaches that there are no hard and fast rules for chanting the holy names. The idea that one cannot chant while facing south is not proper. Therefore we encourage you to go on chanting as much as possible no matter which direction you are facing because all such chanting is fully potent to deliver you from this material world. Also, don't believe everything you hear on television.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?