Superbly Inspiring Song

A great spiritual master named Bhaktivinode Thakur who lived in India from 1838 to 1914 wrote many wonderful songs of great spiritual elevation. One of them in particular that has very much inspired me is translated from Bengali into English as "When Oh When Will That Day Be Mine?" The translated lyrics (with a little touch of Bengali) are as follows:

kabe ha'be bolo se-dina āmār
aparādha ghuci', śuddha nāme ruci,
kṛpā-bale ha'be hṛdoye sañcār


When my offenses ceasing, taste for the name increasing, when in my heart will your mercy shine, when, oh when will that day be mine?

Lower than a blade of grass, more tolerant than a tree. When will my mind attain this quality? Respectful to all, not expecting their honour, then shall I taste the name's nectar sublime. When, oh when will that day be mine?

Great wealth or followers, feminine beauty, I won't care for them or the comforts of my body. Birth after birth give me, Oh Lord Caitanya, causeless devotion to Your feet divine, when, oh when will that day be mine?

When will I utter Kṛṣṇa, Kṛṣṇa, Kṛṣṇa, with words choked up and shivering body? When will I be trembling all over, lose bodily color, tears pouring from my eyes, when, oh when will that day be mine?

When in Navadvipa along the Ganges bank, shouting 'Gaura-Nityānanda' as a surrendered soul, dancing, chanting, running everywhere, when will I become half mad of mind? When, oh when will that day be mine?

When will Lord Nityānanda show mercy upon me, when will I reject the world of māyā? Bestow unto me the shade of Your lotus feet, let the right to preach the name be mine. When, oh when will that day be mine?

I will beg, borrow, or steal the nectar of the name. By the name's effect I will feel paralyzed. Oh! Enjoyer of the nectar of the name, When will I touch your lotus feet till the end of time? When, oh when will that day be mine?

When kindness to all beings will be appearing, with free heart forget myself comforting, Bhaktivinoda in all humility prays, "Now I will set out to preach Your order sublime." When, oh when will that day be mine?

--end of song--

When I was in Mauritius on a beautiful mountain, on 18 December 2018 my disciple, Sankirtana Das, made a video of my humble attempt to sing this song in mood of devotion. It is now posted as today's Video for the Day.

Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur

Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur

Answers According to Vedic Wisdom

Greeting: Merry Christmas

Dear Srila Gurudeva,

Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

I write to you to wish you a Merry Christmas! I don't like this kind of consumistic holidays. Everything is so far away from being a religious event, and this is really really sad. I take refuge in my japa and watching your videos. Your presence warms my heart. Thank you for every word you share with us and for all the precious nectar. I saw you are in a paradise on Earth. What an amazing place is Mauritius!

Daydreaming about our meeting. I hope you're well.

Your servant,

Andrea

Reply: Christmas at Every Minute

From: Melbourne, Australia

My Dear Andrea,

Please accept my blessings.
All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

Thank you for your Christmas greetings. Krishna consciousness is so wonderful that we have Christmas at every minute with Lord Jesus Christ always taking birth within our hearts.

Especially sweet was singing a song by Bhaktivinode Thakur on a mountain in Mauritius.

This a preview of this song that I have not released yet. You are getting a special premier showing:

https://youtu.be/38zgcQLFVfk

As you are looking forward to meeting me, I am also looking forward to meeting you.

I hope this meets you in the best of health and in a super ecstatic mood.

Your ever well-wisher,

Sankarshan Das Adhikari


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?