Should I Not Chant When It Feels Like Work?

I just received an email from one of my students who normally chants 16 rounds of the Hare Krishna mantra daily on japa mala beads but skipped it one day because she felt that it was work. She wanted to know if this is wrong.

Yes, it is wrong. Whether it feels like work, like play, like worship or even if it feels like torture, we should never give up our chanting under any circumstances because we have been ordered by Lord Krishna to chant His names. It is simply our duty that we must execute under all circumstances. By dutifully chanting our rounds of japa every day without fail we will gradually attain the perfectional stage of chanting in which every syllable of the Hare Krishna mantra explodes with unlimited oceans of transcendental bliss.

Devotee Ecstatically Chants Hare Krishna Japa

Devotee Ecstatically Chants Hare Krishna Japa

Answers by Citing the Vedic Version:

Question: Selfish to Absorb Oneself in Hearing from Sri Guru?

I wanted to inquire from Your Divine Grace that I am so attached and attracted to your hearing your discourses that for that when I hear them for one hour I want to totally focus on what you have to say. Is this a hidden selfishness to please my senses (ears)?

Your insignificant student,

Shivani

Answer: Pure Selflessness

When a disciple absorbs himself in hearing the words of his spiritual mater this is the perfection his consciousness. This is pure selflessness. This is why we pray every day, "My only wish is to have my consciousness purified by the words emanating from his lotus mouth."

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?