Conquer Your Tongue, Conquer the World

In world history many conquerors have come and gone: Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Hitler, etc. But their empires were very soon extinguished by the stringent laws of the material nature. Regarding such leaders Srila Prabhupada writes:

"A Hitler, a Mussolini, or any other leader of that materialistic persuasion may offer his followers the mental concoction of doing good together in violent or nonviolent programs, and by such acts of so-called benevolence the leader may get recognition from his followers for some time. But the followers for whom this kind of leader has endeavored to do good will never get any lasting benefit out of such temporarily beneficial work. A void will be felt with the progress of all such benevolent activities. In fact, the followers will be put into more and more distressed conditions by following the path chalked out by this kind of so-called leader. If a blind man pretends to help another blind man cross a road, then both the blind leader and the blind follower shall fall into the further darkness of some unseen ditch. Everyone who is devoid of transcendental knowledge is just like a blind man; such a blind man must first eradicate his blindness before he can attempt to lead others to light."

There is another kind of conqueror whose influence far exceeds the above mentioned conquerors. He is the greatest of all conquerors. He is that person who conquers over his tongue by only talking about Krishna and by taking only Krishna prasadam as his food.

Questions and Answers on the Ultimate Science
Vedic Culture Center--Vilnius, Lithuania--8 May 2015


Questions and Answers on the Ultimate Science Vedic Culture Center Vilnius, Lithuania 8 May 2015

 Testimonial From S. Balaji

Testimonial From S. Balaji
Being a severe atheist, once I got affected by black magic. During that time I had an indirect chance to interact with Goddess Sakthi and Lord Venkatesa Perumal (another form of Krishna). By their grace I came out of the black magic and the evil power was driven out. I started pondering over where from the evil power came, where is God, etc. and I was interested in reading the Bhagavad-gita, the Puranas etc. to know the information. Never ever I knew I have been tricked by Krishna and the inquisitive nature why, what and how is going to lead me towards one of the ISKCON gurus.

Time passed and small spiritual columns appearing in local newspapers and magazines and internet became my source of spiritual knowledge where I started learning about soul, demigods their origin, function, etc. Previously I have read those spiritual columns but they were “stories” for me at that time but after getting affected by black magic and interaction with the above mentioned gods they are “surely real”. But however my mind kept on disturbing me in variety of materialistic issues and sitting in an empty room I asked, "What is the solution for this disturbing mind?" In the very next day, once I asked the question, spiritual columns started appearing stating that you need a preceptor to control the mind. I once again inquired, "Who is the preceptor?" Within one week when I was searching in the internet about spirituality I came across www.backtohome.com and some force in me, forced me to register, which I did in the year 2004.

I received the first mail from www.backtohome.com and the first thought to pop up in my mind was, "Here is another bogus guru.” Because in India a number of gurus appeared to be genuine persons and very soon or other they will be caught in a scandal and their names will be flashed in newspapers. So the general notion is: “A guru means a fraud.” My first attempt was to prove that www.backtohome.com belongs to another bogus guru. So I started asking so many adamant questions in a challenging manner, but Gurudeva was very patient and answered it in a humble manner. As time passed on, as I started reading his mails, I understood one thing. Gurudeva doesn’t say anything for the sake of himself. He says everything for the sake of Krishna. This was the marked difference. A bogus guru seeks gains for himself. I started thinking about the sequence of all the events above: black magic, interaction with gods and some force compelling me to register in www.backtohome.com in year 2004. My question: "Who is the preceptor?" has been answered. So this Gurudeva is real and genuine. Gurudeva taught me everything. Today I know why I got affected by black magic, etc. and all my inquisitive questions has been answered.

Slowly I started following his instructions, started chanting, once in a while I started visiting ISKCON Chennai. Although I am not following the regulative principles strictly at present due to obstacles created by my family members, things are changing. I am slowly introducing my family members to Krishna consciousness and there is slow and steady positive turn in spirituality, towards Lord Krishna, in my family up to this moment. For the past few years I am introducing this course to as many as possible but I am not aware of how many have picked up the course.

Yours truly,

S. Balaji
Kalpakkam, India

Answers by Citing the Vedic Version:

Question: How to Eradicate Depression?

I know you are too busy with Krishna consciousness, but I need your help. I have been in a great depression for the last two-and-a-half years. I am trying meditation and chanting mantras, but still it is continuing. I have been using anti-depressant medicines for one-and-a-half years with no result. Can I free myself from depression by chanting and meditating? Or do I need to use medicines? I have two children, and because of this I cannot engage nicely in family matters. This is putting my family into difficulty.

Also, I wish to work for the Krishna Consciousness Movement. What are the activities I can do to serve this glorious movement?

Because of depression my body is heating always. I am suffering from restlessness, lack of sleep, memory loss, and in so many other ways. Please help help help!

Anonymous

Answer: Take Depression As Your Friend

The trick is that instead of seeing depression as your enemy, you should see it as your friend. Most people are bewildered by the glitter of the material energy into thinking that they are actually happy in this world of death. You have been blessed to see beyond this illusion and realize that you are suffering. This means that you are more fortunate than the other seven billion human beings who reside on this planet. With gratitude in your heart you should regularly call out to Krishna by uttering the Hare Krishna mahamantra. By developing this attitude of gratitude all of your depression you melt away and you will become one of the happiest people in the entire universe. This the real medicine for depression. The other so-called depression medicines only make your depression worse. However, if you currently are medicated on anti-depressants you will need to go off on of the gradually and carefully under the guidance of an expert physician.

Regarding your wonderful desire to serve our mission, please go to your nearest ISKCON temple and volunteer your services to the devotees there for whatever way you can best be of service to them.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?