The Happiest Days of My Life

When I was in high school my father many times told me, "Son, your college days are going to be the happiest days of your life." But when I finally got there my experience was just the opposite. My college days were the most miserable days of my life. But it worked out for the best because at that point I began a sincere search for spiritual enlightenment, which I finally attained after many years of intense struggle when I met my spiritual master, His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. Now by his grace I know who I am and what is the purpose of my existence. And now since I have gotten the shelter of his divine lotus feet over four decades ago, I am truly living the happiest days of my life. And they keep getting happier day after day after day. What could be more blissful than this?

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Happy Days in Riga, Latvia--3 November 2013

Sankarshan Das lecture about Happy Days in Riga,  Latvia

Answers by Citing the Vedic Version:

Question: Relationship Between Men and Women

Since Srila Prabhupada mentioned that women are to be addressed Mataji and men are to be addressed as Prabhu I want to know is there any relationship of brother and sister in our ISKCON society.

Sonam

Answer: All Initiated Devotees Are Our Prabhus (Masters)

The first point for your clarification of understanding is that Srila Prabhupada never said that Prabhu, which means master, is a term exclusively for males. In this connection he states in his purport to Caitanya Caritamrita 10.23:

"the initiated Vaisnavas are addressed as Prabhu"

Since he also many times said that according to Vedic culture every woman except one's wife should be addressed as Mataji or mother, in ISKCON we address women as Mataji. But among the matajis, those who are initiated are also understood to be prabhus. This is very easy to understand. Just like a child growing up has two masters to guide him, his mother and his father, in a similar way we understand that all initiated devotees in good standing, both male and female, are our prabhus or masters.

The second point, in direct answer to your question, is that amongst the disciples of a particular spiritual master, the male and female disciples are all brothers and sisters. (But still the above etiquette is observed.) Disciples of other spiritual masters then are taken as spiritual cousins. The second generation disciples accept Srila Prabhupada's disciples (with the exception of their diksha guru) as aunts and uncles.

I hope this clears up your confusion.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?