How I Discovered Krishna (Below is my First Krishna.)

How I Discovered Krishna (Sankarshan Das's First Krishna.)
Back in the Fall of 1968 I was a very frustrated youth who had no idea why he exists and what is the purpose and meaning of his life. I was living alone in an apartment in which all the tenants shared the same bathroom at 1271 Lafayette Street in Denver, Colorado, USA and was taking some courses at Metropolitan State College to work towards a bachelor's degree and was also working in the evenings in a downtown Denver department store in the men's handkerchief department to cover my expenses.

One evening a friend of mine named Patrick Dolan introduced me to the Hare Krishna maha-mantra, and I bought the above portrait of Sri Sri Radha and Krishna on a poster in a gift store. I made an altar with this poster, and following what I read in a Bhagavad-gita from the library I was offering all of my food (I was a vegetarian) to Lord Krishna before eating.

Feeling spiritually uplifted I decided to completely renounce the material society by going to India to live the rest of my life as a renunciate. But on the way to India I realized that if I renounce everything, I will have to renounce renunciation also and accept something transcendental. So instead of heading east to India to renounce the world, I headed west to San Francisco to be part of revolution to bring about the re-spiritualization of the world.

The first people I met when I arrived in San Francisco were the ISKCON devotees, but I did not realize that these were the people I was supposed to join. So by writing and publicly singing songs I tried on my own to make a spiritual revolution without success. Finally after two years when I relocated to Austin, Texas I realized that the devotees were indeed the ones who are in tune with God's will and who are empowered to completely re-spiritualize the human society.

So I joined them under the expert guidance of His Holiness Vishnujana Swami, and on 12 August 1971 in a letter from London, UK Srila Prabhupada accepted me as his disciple giving me the name "Sankarshan Das", which means, "the servant of he who attracts everyone." I am eternally indebted unto Srila Prabhupada for saving me from this material existence and to his disciples and grand disciples who are assisting him in spreading this Krishna consciousness movement all over the world.

His Holiness Vishnujana Swami

His Holiness Vishnujana Swami

Answers According to the Vedic Wisdom

Question: Why, "May His Soul Rest in Peace."?

It has been said that the soul is pure and therefore it must be peaceful too. Then, on the death of somebody it is said, "May his soul rest in peace."

With Regards,
Golok Das

Answer: Back to Home, Back to Godhead

It's a blind sentiment from the foolish meat eaters. But we can take it in a transcendental way, that may he go back to Godhead, because that is only place to find real peace. This material existence is simply a hellish nightmare.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

We Want Everyone to Go Back to Godhead

We Want Everyone to Go Back to Godhead
Sankarshan Das Adhikari
Sankarshan Das Adhikari is one of the spiritual masters of the worldwide Hare Krishna Movement. He has dedicated the last 50 years of his life for bringing a spiritual revolution to planet earth by spreading the teachings of Lord Sri Krishna all over the world. He is based in Austin, Texas and when there is no pandemic regularly travels all over the world teaching his audiences how to attain Krishna consciousness, the highest stage of spiritual awakening. He is available for media interviews and to speak to groups and organizations either in person or via the internet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?