The Departure of Sriman Brahmananda Prabhu

I have sad, heart breaking news to report. Sriman Brahmananda Prabhu, one of the very first devotees who surrendered to Srila Prabhupada in 1966 in New York has now passed a few days ago from this world in the holy land of Vrindavana. This news brought tears to my eyes as I remembered this great Vaisnava. Before the Srimad Bhagavatam class we sang the song "Ye Anilo Prema Dhana" to lament our separation from this great Vaisnava.

Brahmananda Prabhu was chosen to be the first temple president soon after Prabhupada started ISKCON in New York and was subsequently given other positions of authority in Prabhupada's movement. Very personal exchanges, both while in proximity and through correspondence, testify to the fact that Srila Prabhupada and Brahmananda Prabhu were close. This is a matter of public record: Prabhupada’s faith in Brahmananda as a highly capable assistant and the love shared between the two manifested early in the movement’s history.

Here are Brahmananda Prabhu's own words describing how he first experienced the Hare Krishna mantra:

"I had brief contact with the Hare Krishna mantra before meeting Srila Prabhupada, or Swamiji as he was called at the time. I went into a book shop in the West Village and there were these little leaflets. They advertised the kirtan and Swamiji’s program at 26 Second Avenue. And it gave the mantra, but it said that one should 'Practice Transcendental Sound Vibration.' And then it said, 'Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare / Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.' It interested me because I was studying the Bhagavad-gita at NYU, so I knew it had something to do with that. But I couldn’t understand: What did it mean by 'Practice' Transcendental Sound Vibration? How does one practice a sound vibration? It was totally alien to me, that is, until I went down to Swamiji’s storefront. But the kirtan really impressed me. I didn’t intellectualize it; I just got into the feeling of it. The intensity of the emotion. I really loved it right from the beginning."

To tell the full extent of the great sacrifices that he made to assist Srila Prabhupada, in Krishnizing the world, such as pioneering our movement in Pakistan and Africa, would fill volumes. I am thankful that I was blessed with the association of this great Vaisnava, Sriman Brahmananda Prabhu. I look forward to his eternal association in the most wondrous spiritual sky.

His Grace Sriman Brahmanda Prabhu--1943-2015


His Grace Sriman Brahmanda Prabhu--1943-2015

Answers by Citing the Vedic Version:

Question: Tension of Losing My Job

There is extreme tension at my workplace and I am either going to be demoted or will eventually lose my job to another one who has been transferred in.

I realize I should not be stressed and leave it to Krishna.
I pray to you to please help me stay peaceful and calm in this situation.

Thank you, Gurudeva,
Your humble servant

Answer: You Are Protected by Krishna, Not Your Job.

No need to worry. You are protected by Krishna, not your job. When one is Krishna conscious even the greatest loss is the greatest gain. Simply continue happily with the process of awakening your dormant Krishna consciousness and sincerely, enthusiastically engaging your occupational duties in His service. You’ll be okay.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?