Taming Our Mischievous Monkey Minds

Our minds are pretty wild. They are like monkeys jumping from the branch of one material desire to another branch of material desire endlessly one after another after another. These meandering monkey minds have kept us entangled in the cycle of birth and death constantly rotating through the 8,400,000 species of life again and again wherein we continuously suffer birth, death, old age, and disease. If we want out, we must fix our minds on Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. The easiest and most effective way to do that is to chant the Hare Krishna mahamantra as much as possible 24 hours a day. Such sincere chanting brings immediate relief from all kinds of material distress and attracts the attention and special mercy of the all-attractive Supreme Lord.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Srila Prabhupada Chanting Hare Krishna Japa

Srila Prabhupada Chanting Hare Krishna Japa

Answers by Citing the Vedic Version:

Question: What is My Real Duty?

Lord Krishna says to do our prescribed duties. But I'm confused about my duty. I think prescribed duties should not be whimsical in nature. My confusion is that at present I'm a student who studies the mundane books. So one may say that my duty is to work hard and score high in exams. But at one point of time I may leave my studies aside and choose to plan my career by becoming a professional sports player and hence my duty will change. My duty would then be to see that my team is becoming victorious. Isn't this whimsical? As Arjuna humbly requests to Lord Krishna and surrenders himself unto Him by saying, ''Please instruct me.'' I also surrender unto you and humbly request you to instruct me on what is my duty.

V.S.

Answer: To Fully Surrender to Krishna

Krishna's final instruction is to give up all other duties and fully surrender to Him. So this is what you should do by fully surrendering to His representative, the bona fide spiritual master. When you are fully prepared to become a disciple, your duty will simply be to faithfully carry out the instructions given to you by your spiritual master. So as you have chosen to my disciple, my instruction is that you should continue your studies very nicely and at that time prepare for initiation by chanting at least 16 rounds every day of the Hare Krishna mantra, while strictly avoiding illicit sex, meat eating, intoxication, and gambling.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?