I was told , “You have to become sober."
The Ultimate Self Realization Course
To Free You from Confusion and Anxiety and Bless You with Unlimited Bliss
Srila Prabhupada: the Perfection of Sobriety
I Was Told, "You Have to Become Sober."
Thought for Day--4 April 2026
As a young spiritual seeker, I received a powerful instruction from His Holiness Vishnujana Swami: “You have to become sober.” You can read about this pastime here in this excerpt from my memoir, The Divine Love Memoir.One beautiful spring evening, I was attending a Krishna consciousness program conducted by His Holiness Vishnujana Swami at the home of Robin Ferris. (Robin was the person I mentioned earlier who was selling Hare Krishna literature and incense on his blanket at the hippie street market.) In those days, there was no such thing as bottled water. So, feeling thirsty at one point in the program, I stepped into the kitchen to get a drink of water. And who was in the kitchen with me? Astonishingly, it was Vishnujana Swami himself! We were alone in the kitchen, away from the crowd packed into the living room. He took the opportunity to give me a personal instruction, which went profoundly and deeply into my heart. It was one of the most poignant instructions I ever received in my entire life. He calmly and compassionately looked me squarely in the eyes and said, “You have to become sober.” In those countercultural days, our hippie philosophy was to always be high on something, to stay that way forever with no more coming down. Being sober was the opposite of the state of mind I had been trying to be in. So, when the swami told me I had to become sober, it was awe-inspiring. How profound was he!
If you would like to get a copy of my memoir it is available through the Amazon links below...
Sankarshan Das Adhikari
To get The Divine Love Memoir go to the Amazon store in your country:
Amazon.comAmazon.in
Amazon.au
Amazon.ca
or go the Amazon.com site in your country and search for The Divine Love Memoir.
If you have any questions, you are welcome to write me:
sd@worldleader.comPlease Help Us Make the World Krishna Conscious.
Donate Now by Clicking HereTo be updated about online classes and other events join our Whatsapp group by clicking here.
Transcendental Reply
Please accept my humble obeisances.
All glories to you.
I have a question, but I don't know whether it is right or wrong to ask your Grace such types of questions. Please forgive me if I am doing the wrong thing.
Question: The Supreme Lord is situated in everyone's heart in the form of Paramatma, then why do women have some restrictions on entering the temple hall during menstrual time? Some of my seniors said that there is no problem and I can enter the temple hall to hear lectures, but some other seniors said it is not good to enter the temple hall during menstrual time, even if I want to hear a lecture from a pure devotee. Whom should I follow? Kindly guide me.
Your Grace's aspiring disciple
Bhaktin Abhiremya
Trivandrum
Answer
From: Ljubljana, SloveniaMy Dear Abhiremya,
Please accept my blessings.
All glories to Śrīla Prabhupāda.
A women entering the temple during her menstrual cycle may be forbidden in smārta-vidhi. But it is allowed in gosvāmī-vidhi.
Smārta-vidhi refers to worship based on traditional smṛti rules, emphasizing external rituals, purity, and social qualifications, whereas gosvāmī-vidhi (bhāgavata-vidhi), as taught by the Vaiṣṇava ācāryas like Rupa Goswami and Sanatana Goswami centers on pure devotional service to Krishna, prioritizing internal sincerity, chanting, and loving surrender over mere ritual correctness; thus, while smārta-vidhi focuses on formal procedure, gosvāmī-vidhi focuses on awakening genuine bhakti and is considered superior for attaining love of God.
Srila Prabhupada says that we follow gosvāmī-vidhi not smārta-vidhi.
I hope this meets you in the best of health and in a cheerful mood.
Your ever well-wisher,
Sankarshan Das Adhikari
Around the World Travel Schedule
19 April to Kaunas, Lithuania
28 April to Tallinn, Estonia
30 April to Helsinki for Narasimha Caturdasi
1 May to Austin, Texas USA
Resources
Watch transcendental videos on our YouTube channelListen to uplifting recorded lectures
Read previous issues of Thought for the Day
Listen to uplifting recorded lectures
Listen to songs sung by Sankarshan Das
Listen to uplifting recorded lectures
Listen to songs sung by Sankarshan Das
Below are links to our e-course in other languages:
निशुल्क कोर्स से जुड़ने के लिए और ईमेल मे ज्ञानवर्धक प्रसारण प्राप्त करने के लिए इस लिंक पर क्लिक करें: www.joinhindicourse.com
Norėdami "Dienos mintis" gauti lietuvių kalba į savo el. paštą, užpildykite prenumeratos formą: www.backtohome.lt
மிக உன்னதமான தன்னுணர்வு பயிற்சி"யை தமிழில் பெற, கீழ் காணும் இணைப்பை கிளிக் செய்யவும் https://bit.ly/2XphoWP
સર્વોત્તમ આત્મસાક્ષાત્કાર કોર્સનુ જ્ઞાનવર્ધક પ્રસારણ તમારા ઈ-મેલમાં પ્રાપ્ત કરવા માટે આ લિંક પર જોડાઈ શકો છો http://eepurl.com/g7DZIf
പരമോന്നത ആത്മസാക്ഷാത്ക്കാര അധ്യയന പദ്ധതിയുടെ മലയാളത്തിലുള്ള ഇമെയില് വരിക്കാരാവാന് താഴെ കൊടുത്തിരിക്കുന്ന ലിങ്കില് ക്ലിക് ചെയ്ത് ഫോറം പൂരിപ്പിച്ച് അയക്കുക. https://forms.gle/puqYmPAXqSqJFb3j6
ଆପଣଙ୍କ ଇ-ମେଲରେ ଚରମ ଆତ୍ମ-ସାକ୍ଷାତ ପାଠ୍ୟକ୍ରମର ସବୁଠାରୁ ଜ୍ଞାନଦାୟକ ପ୍ରସାରଣ ପାଇବା ପାଇଁ ଦୟାକରି ଏହି ଲିଙ୍କ୍ ଉପରେ କ୍ଲିକ୍ କରନ୍ତୁ। https://forms.gle/JNinq6GyqPsghLnf8
Чтобы подписаться на бесплатный э-курс, пожалуйста, зарегистрируйтесь по этой сылке www.backtohome.ru
Thank you very much for participating in The Ultimate Self Realization Course
Sankarshan Das
Comments
Post a Comment