The Solution for Depression

In the early days of ISKCON when my godbrother, Guru Das, became depressed in his devotional service he got the following most wonderful, inspiring instruction from Srila Prabhupada in a letter dated 29 August 1972 from Los Angeles:

"Do not be depressed. All along my godbrothers gave me only depression, repression, compression -- but I continued strong in my duty. So never mind there is some discouragement, continue with your work in full enthusiastic Krishna Consciousness attitude of service."

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Srila Prabhupada and Guru Das

Srila Prabhupada and Guru Das

Answers According to the Vedic Wisdom

Question: Should I Read Krishna Conscious Books?

Respected Sir, Hare Krishna!
I'm a 17 years college student from India. I have hereby written to you in order to know an answer to my query.
Will knowledge of Krishna be beneficial for me? I, being a science student continuously read Srila Prabhupada's books and many others related to Krishna, and I have a very good faith in Him also. But I have a very big problem related to this:
My parents are not allowing me to read books related to God. My parents think that if I continue reading spiritual books, I shall not get success in my life. Instead they suggest me to read those books only after the end of college curriculum.
So, what should I do? Should I continue reading about Krishna or stop? Most of the time I think to give up reading spiritual books, but they somehow come to me and I can't completely stop myself from reading them.
Please suggest me the correct path. I hope you would have understand my problem. I shall wait for your reply.

Answer: You Must Read Them as Your First Duty

My Dear Anonymous,

Please accept my blessings.
All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

Your parents are lacking in proper understanding. Reading Prabhupada's books carefully and thoroughly will give you a solid foundation for material success and even more importantly spiritual success. Human life is meant for becoming fully Krishna conscious and going back to home, back to Godhead. College studies without Krishna consciousness simply prepare you to be an animal in your next birth.

Read from Srila Prabhupada's books every day as your first business. And then do your material studies in the mood of offering the result of your material studies in Krishna's service.

This will give you the best of both worlds: spiritual success and material success.

I hope this meets you in the best of health.
 
Your ever well-wisher,
Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Required Reading for College Students

Required Reading for College Students
Sankarshan Das Adhikari
Sankarshan Das Adhikari is one of the spiritual masters of the worldwide Hare Krishna Movement. He has dedicated the last 50 years of his life for bringing a spiritual revolution to planet earth by spreading the teachings of Lord Sri Krishna all over the world. He is based in Austin, Texas and when there is no pandemic he regularly travels all over the world teaching his audiences how to attain Krishna consciousness, the highest stage of spiritual awakening. He is available for media interviews and to speak to groups and organizations either in person or via the internet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?