Introducing Bhakti in the Music World

Before joining this Hare Krishna movement I was an up-and-coming singer/songwriter who had written 300 songs and attracted many people by my music. After meeting His Holiness Vishnujana Swami in Austin, Texas in the spring of 1971 I gave up my position as the house musician at the Sattva restaurant and took up residence in Austin's ISKCON center at 2906 Dancy Street. I threw my 300 songs into the temple's garbage can because they were not Krishna conscious and resolved that from then on I would only write Krishna conscious songs.

Since Austin, Texas currently has a very active music scene, I decided to introduce my Krishna conscious songs to the Austin public to see how they would be received. On the evening of 14 November 2016 I sang at Threadgill's, a popular music venue, and got a very enthusiastic response from the audience, more than any of the other musicians, who were all non-devotees, who sang during the program.

After my set, a local singer/songwriter named Wayne Kimes told me he that is not able to write songs like I can. He told me, "What you are doing is very important. You need to keep doing it. A lot of people here in town in Austin, you know, it's changing. It's turning corporate and they're all checking out. But we all need to be reminded of what you are talking about. It's a good message. Keep it going."

Music is very popular with the general population and has a strong effect on their consciousness. If Krishna conscious music can become popular, this will be very beneficial for the human society. Our mission is to make the entire world Krishna conscious. So out of kindness upon the fallen suffering souls of this world we should take advantage of any and all means to make this happen as soon as possible.

Introducing Bhakti Through Music

Sankarshan Das Introducing Bhakti Through Music

Video For the Day: Source of Reality

Answers by Citing the Vedic Version

Question: Who Is Our Instructing Guru?

Hare Krishna.

My dear Srila Gurudeva,

Please accept my humble obeisances at your lotus feet

All glories to you and to Srimati Gurumataji
All glories to Srila Prabhupada

Srila Gurudeva, the pure devotee of Lord from whom we got initiated is our initiating spiritual master (diksha guru). Then who is our instructing spiritual master (siksha guru). Is this our initiating guru or is this someone else?

Thank-you!

Your unworthy servant
Nandapriya Devi Dasi

Answer: One Who Purely Represents Your Initiating Guru

Your spiritual master is both your diksha guru (initiating guru) and siksha guru (instructing guru) because in addition to formally initiating you as his disciple he is training you how to go back to home, back to Godhead. Others, such as Guru Mataji, who teach you the same thing as your spiritual master are your instructing gurus. You have only one initiating guru, but you can accept others as your instructing gurus, if they are strictly teaching you exactly what your initiating guru is teaching you.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?