The Most Glorious Day When I First Met His Holiness Vishnujana Swami

In the Spring of 1971 I was staying with a friend named Mike Bridges in his apartment in Austin, Texas intensely desiring spiritual perfection. Seeing Lord Jesus Christ as a spiritually perfect being because of his total surrender to the will of God, I was seriously studying the Bible every day and begging God to guide me how I could be His perfect servant.

Then on a most auspicious Sunday morning there was a providential knock on the door of Mike’s apartment. It was Mike’s friend, Margaret, who lived just down the street. She told us, “There’s a Hare Krishna swami in town, and he will be in my apartment in one hour.” So one hour later I made sure that I was there. And who did I meet but a very warm and friendly Hare Krishna devotee, His Holiness Vishnujana Swami.

The swami had been ordered by his spiritual master to open ten temples. He has already opened the first of the ten in Houston, and thus had nine more to go. He had been inspired to come to Austin because he heard that there was a hippie street market across the street from the University of Texas where one of the hippies had set up shop on a blanket for selling incense and Hare Krishna literature.

This hippie, named Robin Ferris, was even sporting a Hare Krishna haircut, a shaved head, with small tuft of hair in the back! So the swami understood from this that Austin must be a very ripe field for opening another Hare Krishna center. So now one of the Hare Krishna followers from Houston has driven him to Austin and dropped him off. As a fully renounced sanyasi (monk in the renounced order) he had come to Austin with no money. He only a had a few simple possessions like a tooth brush and a razor blade for shaving and box of the Hare Krishna magazine, Back to Godhead, for distribution.

He informed me that that afternoon at 2pm there would be a feast program in nearby Pease Park. With great anticipation I took the twenty minutes, mile long walk down the hill to that park situated on the bank of Shoal Creek to attend the Swami’s program making sure to arrive by 2pm.

He set up a blanket under the trees with a big picture of Krishna and a cow (see illustration below). He led us in an inspiring, uplifting kirtan, a congregational call and response chanting of the Hare Krishna mahamantra. I was impressed with the swami’s spiritual knowledge when he explained, “Avatar means one who descends.” Then came a wonderful, but simple, feast. The menu was very simple, but very delicious: potatoes with sour cream and turmeric, apple chutney (a spicy apple sauce), and sweet rice (a super scrumptious pudding made with rice, sugar, and milk).

That most auspicious day when I first met Vishnujana Swami was a major turning point in my life. I am eternally indebted to him. He is now departed from this world, and I very much look forward to that day when I will meet him again in the spiritual world.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

P.S. In my initiation letter date 12 August 1971 Srila Prabhupada wrote me,

"...you have been trained up under the expert guidance of Vishnujana Swami."

His Holiness Vishnujana Swami Maharaja ki jaya!

Vishnujana Swami Love Feast in Austin's Pease Park

Vishnujana Swami Love Feast in Austin's Pease Park

Answers According to the Vedic Wisdom

Question: I'm Lost. What to do?

I’m getting nowhere with my spiritual journey. What should I do?

Zara James

Answer: Take Shelter of a Bona Fide Guru

You are ship without a rudder. You need to take shelter of a spiritual master, not one of those charlatans, a bona fide spiritual master.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari
Sankarshan Das Adhikari
Sankarshan Das Adhikari is one of the spiritual masters of the worldwide Hare Krishna Movement. He has dedicated the last 50 years of his life for bringing a spiritual revolution to planet earth by spreading the teachings of Lord Sri Krishna all over the world. He is based in Austin, Texas and when there is no pandemic he regularly travels all over the world teaching his audiences how to attain Krishna consciousness, the highest stage of spiritual awakening. He is available for media interviews and to speak to groups and organizatiiveons either in person or via the internet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?