Hare Krishna Was the Hippie Religion

Back in the beginning days of ISKCON it was the hippies who joined ISKCON en masse to help Srila Prabhupada get his movement started. In fact, in those days it was practically only the hippies (with a a few exceptions) who joined. In this regard on 29 April 1969 in Boston Srila Prabhupada was talking with a reporter and his disciple Hansaduta. Here's what Srila Prabhupada said:

Prabhupada: And also it is a fact that many of our students have come from the hippies. [chuckling]
Hansaduta: Almost all of them. [laughter]
Prabhupada: [laughs] So they are our best candidates. So you can advertise that "We are not hippies, but we are converting many hippies to the sane condition of life." That's a fact. They are searching after something better, but they have no leader.

I was also one of the most fortunate hippies who became a "happy" by the mercy of Srila Prabhupada and his followers. I've a written a song that tells about my most fortunate transition. That song can be heard through this link. Here is a photograph from 1970 when I was a popular hippie singer on the University of Texas at Austin campus and was trying to bring a spiritual revolution to planet Earth. When in 1971 I realized that I could not do this but that Srila Prabhupada was actually doing this, I surrendered unto him and became his disciple Sankarshan Das.



Just as when I was a hippie I was keen for making a spiritual revolution, now I am even more keen, because by the grace of Lord Caitanya and Srila Prabhupada we now in ISKCON have the means for actually spiritualizing the whole world. Therefore we are requesting everyone to please assist us in making the whole world Krishna conscious as soon as possible. Your life will be glorious.

In this regard Srila Prabhupada said, "You are always saying 'All glories to Srila Prabhupada.' So why don't you become glorious?"

Srila Prabhupada Chants on Hippie Hill, San Francisco

Srila Prabhupada Chants on Hippie Hill, San Francisco

Video for the Day

Hare Krishna--The Hippie Religion

Answers According to Vedic Wisdom

Question: How to Chant Without Offense?

Hare Krishna.
Please accept my humble obeisances.
All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

I am a grihastha aged above 60. I lose my concentration when chanting after mangala arati.

Please advise on how to chant without offence.
Yours humbly,
Mohan dasa

Answer: Beg Radha and Krishna to Help You

From: ISKCON Austin, Texas USA

My Dear Mohan,

Please accept my blessings.
All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

If you will simply sincerely and regularly beg Sri Sri Radha and Krishna to help you keep your mind fixed on chanting, you will experience truly miraculous results.

I hope this meets you in the best of health and in an ecstatic mood.
Your ever well-wisher,
Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?