Is Strict Obedience Fanaticism?

I am often criticized for being a fanatic by neophyte devotees who do not strictly follow the teachings of Srila Prabhupada. They find me to a be threat to their comfort zone of loose devotional service. So is it proper me to preach that we should strictly follow Srila Prabhupada's teachings? Or should I just preach that it doesn't matter whether you follow strictly Srila Prabhupada's teachings as long as you are Krishna conscious? The answer is that you cannot be properly situated in Krishna consciousness unless you strictly follow the teachings of Srila Prabhupada. Pseudo Krishna consciousness, i.e. Krishna consciousness mixed with material desires, will not save you at the time of death. You will have to take birth again to fulfill those material desires. The purpose of my preaching is to purely represent Srila Prabhupada, not to mix Srila Prabhupada's teachings with material sense gratification. My aim is to preach in such a way that anyone who follows my instructions will be guaranteed to go back to home, back to Godhead at the time of the demise of their present material bodies. How can that be wrong?

In this connection kindly note what Srila Prabhupada says about strictly following this process of Krishna consciousness. This is from his purport to Srimad Bhagavatam, Fourth Canto, Chapter 22, Text 24:

"To hear about Krishna from Srimad-Bhagavatam or Bhagavad-gita or similar authentic literature is to live in Krishna consciousness. Such concentration in Krishna consciousness can be achieved by persons who are strictly following the rules and regulative principles. We have recommended in our Krishna consciousness movement that a devotee chant sixteen rounds on beads daily and follow the regulative principles. That will help the devotee be fixed in his spiritual advancement in life."

I hope this makes everything clear for you, my readers, regarding this issue.

Ecstatic Send Off Kirtan--Kaunas, Lithuania--6 September 2017

Ecstatic Send Off Kirtan--Kaunas, Lithuania

Video For the Day: Be Happy and Make the Whole World Happy

Answers by Citing the Vedic Version:

Question: Meditating on My Guru?

Hare Krishna, dear Gurudeva and Gurumataji.
Please accept my humble obeisances.
All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

I hope everyone is well!

Sometimes my japa chanting is poor, and I find it difficult to meditate on Sri Krishna. So my question is: Is meditating on the Spiritual Master the same as meditating on Sri Krishna when one chants Japa? When I chant japa I like to remember your words and instructions.

Thank you very much!

Your happy servant,
Javiera

Answer: He Takes You to Krishna

Remembering the spiritual master is as good as remembering Krishna. So whenever you remember your spiritual master and his instructions you become strongly fixed in Krishna consciousness. Then with this renewed strength you can remember that your spiritual master wants you to deeply absorb yourself in transcendental meditation on Krishna's holy names. This will empower you to dive deeply into the most sublime ocean of our beloved Lord's names.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?