On the Verge of Death

No matter what is our age or our condition of health, every one is situated on the verge of death. By the inexorable laws of nature any one of us can be kicked out of our present body at any moment. Therefore instead of basing our happiness on how we will enjoy this material world, we should base our happiness on re-establishing our lost loving relationship with Lord Sri Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Only this will bring us genuine, lasting happiness.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Srila Prabhupada Introduces the Krishna Consciousness Movement Tompkins Square Park--New York City--1966

Srila Prabhupada Introduces Krishna Consciousness at Newyork

Answers by Citing the Vedic Version:

Question: How to Eat When I Travel?

I beg to get a small clarification with your permission. My spiritual master has identified that as long as I live in this world, I can earn money through the profession of studying and teaching and simultaneously cultivate Krishna consciousness and try to advance in bhakti. However this line in the material world demands that I need to travel nationally and internationally for delivering lectures on software engineering (my professional line). So how do I manage to eat Krishna prasad when I travel? Also when Prabhupada was a grihastha he used to travel constantly throughout India for his business. How did he manage to eat Krishna prasad as generally hotels do not allow one to cook ones own food? How do the other grihasthas in ISKCON who are doing business manage Krishna prasadam when they travel?

Humbly and patiently waiting for your reply.

Your servant

Answer: Bring or Cook Your Own Food As Much As Possible

I don't know what Prabhupada did when he was traveling as a householder. But I do know what he told us to do. He told us not to eat airplane or hotel food. But he also mentioned that such food could be taken when there is no other alternative. My wife and I travel seven months out of the year all over the world, but we never eat food cooked by non-devotees either on airplanes or in hotels. We carry our own foods with us. There are certain foods such as chapatis and puris (homemade breads) that do not spoil. One can take fruits with him. Vegetables can also be cooked in such a way that they can go for one or two days without spoiling. When arriving at a hotel we immediately put our perishable foods in the refrigerator.

Here's what one of my disciples who is in similar situation as you wrote me about how he solved his eating problem while out of his home for an extended period of time:

“The hotel I have checked into does not provide a kitchen in the room. However, I have brought an automatic electric rice cooker with me in which I cook upma (I have got the ready mix prepared at home by my mom) and poha. I am carrying enough grain to cook rice and dahl at night. I offer these to Lord Damodar and honor them. It is a nice experience. In the afternoon, when I am forced to eat little outside, I do offer it mentally to Lord Krishna and honor it as you advised.”

So as far as possible bring from home or prepare your own meals as my disciple has done. When this is not possible you can purchase your meals in a restaurant being careful to avoid meat, fish, eggs, onions, and garlic and mentally offering your food to Krishna before you partake.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?