Initiation in Columbus

On the morning of Saturday 16 June 2007 here in Columbus, Ohio at ISKCON's Krishna House center another most fortunate soul was initiated into our Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya-Prabhupada Sampradaya. I accepted Bhakta Josh, a college student who is preparing to become a teacher, as my duly initiated disciple. Henceforward he is to be known as Jagannath Das.

There is nothing more auspicious than that moment when we fully surrender to Lord Krishna by taking complete shelter of his authorized representative, the bona fide spiritual master. Srila Prabhupada explains that if we firmly stick to our initiation vows, from the very moment of our initiation our deathlessness begins.

I am now serving as an initiating guru for thirty-four devotees and that number is gradually growing. Today after initiating Jagannath Das I remembered that simply wonderful time back in 1971 when I fully surrendered myself at the lotus feet of my beloved spiritual master, His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. He gave me the name Sankarshan Das, and instructed me to make my life perfect by fully dedicating it to doing the highest welfare work of giving Krishna consciousness to others. By his mercy I have been given the opportunity to absorb my life fully in this highest of all missionary activities. I remain ever indebted to him.

Chanting On New Initiate's Japa Beads

Sankarshan Das Chanting On New Initiate's Japa Beads, Colombus

Fire Sacrifice Ceremony for Initiation

Sankarshan Das Performing Fire Sacrifice Ceremony for Initiation

Blissful Jagannath Das

Blissful Jagannath Das, Colombus, Ohio

Answers According to the Vedic Version

Question: Does Krishna Reward Us for Raising Our Children to Be Kind to Others?....

I was wondering if someone spends a lot of time teaching their children and caring for them and even being "proud" of their progress, is this a self-serving, materialistic goal or does Krishna look favorably upon this? I am a father of two small sons and I try not to look upon them as accomplishments or trophies but I am happy to be their father and hope that I win Krishna's favor by being good to them and teaching them how to be kind to others. Is there a reward for this?

Chris

Answer: The Ultimate Kindness...

Raising children to be kind to others is an activity in the mode of goodness. Such a mood is a favorable mood for progressing further to the transcendental platform, but it is not a substitute for it.

The duty of the father is to raise the children in such a way that they will not take birth again. Being kind to others is very nice, but it obliges us to take birth again to be repaid for the kindness that we gave to others in our previous lifetime. However, if we give to others the ultimate kindness of Krishna consciousness, we will be delivered from the cycle of birth and death and the people we give Krishna consciousness to will also be delivered. Therefore Krishna consciousness is the ultimate kindness.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?