We Bring Our Own

Even though we spend so much time flying all over the world, and even though the airlines offer us vegetarian meals, still we do not take their food. We bring our own food, Krishna prasadam, vegetarian eatables that have been prepared and cooked with love by Krishna's devotees and then first offered to the Lord before being eaten. Such sanctified foodstuffs are called prasadam, the mercy of the Lord. They are delicious, nutritious, and above all they free us from the reactions to our past sinful activities. By eating such sanctified foodstuffs one awakens the pure love of Godhead that is currently lying dormant within the heart.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Answers According to the Vedic Version:

Question: Detachment from People

Dear Gurudeva,

I hope this email meets you well!

I am very new to Krishna Consciousness. I stumbled upon Krishna Consciousness only a mere few months ago in June when a very dear friend of mine introduced me to it. I have been fortunate enough to stumble upon your website a few days ago and am very touched by your lectures and seminars to the point of tears. What you say really inspires me and makes me enthusiastic about Krishna and serving Him and His devotees. I would like to thank you very much for helping myself and others through your websites; it has already begun to help me with my many questions and concerns. I sincerely hope that in some way, no matter how small, I can be of service to you though I am a very lost soul, and have much difficulty in my life and in my heart.

I have a couple of questions. [Only if it is not too much trouble...] 1. Many devotees that I have spoken with have talked about detachment from Maya. I think I understand how when you are attached to Krishna you become more and more detached from Maya but does that mean also detachment from people? I understand detachment as "indifference" so how would do that and still love their friends or family or spouse?

2. I go to a Catholic High school [I am only 16]. I wish to speak about Krishna and such related things with the people there that I have considered friends. Though, every time I try to speak to some of these people, they do not wish to hear or they find ways of putting me down and instead would rather speak of mundane things. Should I keep trying to talk to them about Krishna or not say anything more? It would be very hard for me to separate myself from these people and I know they would find it rather rude of me to do so, I wish not to disrespect them.

Thank you again for your time and devoted service to the Lord.

Your Humble Servant,

Answer: Intense Compassion for People

I will happily accept your service and provide you with guidance for attaining the supreme perfection.

Regarding your questions: a devotee is not detached from people. The more he advances in Krishna consciousness, the more he feels compassion for the lost souls who are suffering in illusion. He fully dedicates his life for rendering the topmost welfare activity of delivering the poor lost souls from the cycle of repeated birth and death.

If by your preaching attempts your friends become offensive, it is better not to talk them about Krishna. Better to bake some cookies and offer them to Krishna and then distribute to your friends without letting them know it is Krishna prasadam. In this way they will unknowingly make spiritual advancement and eventually be eager to hear from you about Krishna.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?