Closeness to Srila Prabhupada

Last Sunday a guest at our weekly Sunday Feast program inquired from me how close I was to my spiritual master, His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. In spiritual life we do not measure closeness to the spiritual master by physical proximity. Actual closeness is measured by how much one is dedicated to always remembering and executing the orders that he has received from his spiritual master. This is because the spiritual master is more powerfully present in his instructions than he is in his physical presence.

Physically I had scant association with my spiritual master. But I was most fortunate to have received from him very sublime instructions that I have totally embraced as my very life and soul. Thus from the very beginning of my devotional life in 1971 I have been blessed with the utmost mercy of always being closely connected with my spiritual master.

For example, on 7 September 1971 he wrote me from London the following instruction:

"I can see also that you are a very sincere and enthusiastic boy and are anxious for spreading this movement. Those are first class qualifications for making advancement in Krishna Consciousness. So continue enthusiastically as you are doing and Krishna will surely bless you."

I realized my good fortune in receiving such an instruction, and thus I fully dedicated myself to always remain enthusiastic about Krishna consciousness and the Krishna consciousness movement no matter what may happen. And by so doing I have always been blessed by Lord Sri Krishna with being tightly connected with my beloved spiritual master. This is real closeness.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Answers According to the Vedic Version:

Question: Poison in the Beginning?

Sir, is it true that Krishna Consciousness in the beginning is poison? If yes, is there any way by which a person can pass through the phase of poison easily?

Warm regards,

Sunil

Answer: Krishna Consciousness is Nectar All the Way

Krishna consciousness is nectar in the beginning and even more nectar as you progress. It is only happiness in the mode of goodness that is poison in the beginning and nectar in the end. In other words, if you practice bhakti purely 24 hours day, free of any material motives, you are already situated on the transcendental platform, which is bliss in the beginning and even more bliss as you advance on the bhakti path.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?