"I am in Great Pain."

In India spiritual life is still very much appreciated. This can often lead to very interesting conversations when we interact with the Indian people. On Thursday 11 December 2008 when we were preparing to board a flight from Delhi to Hong Kong at the security checkpoint I was being frisked by a security guard.

The guard asked me, "Where are you from?"

I responded, "From the USA. But actually only my body is American. My actual self is the atma, and it is not American."

He said, "That is true of everybody," and I replied, "Yes, everyone is an atma, an eternal spiritual being."

Seeing my tilaka and shaved head with sikha he could understand that I was practicing Krishna bhakti. With great joy he asked me, "How long have you been doing this?"

I said, "Since 1971."

He said, "That means you have been practicing this for thirty-seven years."

"Yes," I replied.

Then in expectation of a very positive answer he asked, "How then do you feel?"

I paused for second to consider how to answer him in the clearest and most profound way. He was expecting to hear how blissful I am feeling. So I very much surprised him when I replied, "I am in great pain because all I see all around us a world in which the human population is suffering like anything due to forgetfulness of their loving servitor relationship with Krishna or God. Therefore I have fully dedicated my life for bringing about the spiritual enlightenment of the human population."

Now in afterthought as we are preparing to land in Hong Kong, as I write these words I am realizing that the pain the Vaisnavas feel is not ordinary pain. It is their compassion upon the illusioned souls. The more they feel such compassion, the more they feel pain. And the more they feel compassion upon the fallen, conditioned souls, the more that Krishna becomes pleased with them. And the more that Krishna becomes pleased with them, the more they become blissful.

So just see this most amazing amazing phenomenon! The more the Vaisnavas feel the pain of love lamenting the plight of the souls who have forgotten their relationship with Krishna, the more they become blissful. For such Vaisnavas more pain means more bliss.

Therefore even though the Vaisnavas feel themselves totally unqualified to spread Krishna consciousness to those who are in the darkness of ignorance, they beg Lord Krishna for the boon that they can abandon all desires for sense gratification and be fully absorbed 24 hours daily in helping the suffering souls of this world discover true happiness.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Sri Sri Radha Krishna--the Lords of Vrindavana

Sri Sri Radha Krishna--the Lords of Vrindavana

Answers According to the Vedic Version:

Question: How to Obtain a Guru?

I am presently reading Bhagavad-gita, it is a fascinating book. But I haven't yet been able to obtain a spiritual master. What can you advise me?

Thank you for your time.

Martin Carlos Mendoza de los Santos

Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

Answer: Guru Has Already Been Obtained

When you are inquiring from that person who is fixed in Krishna consciousness and who is presenting the message of the Bhagavad-gita as it is without any distortion you have already obtained a bona fide spiritual master. So there is no need for you to look any further. Krishna says in the Bhagavad-gita:

tad viddhi praṇipātena
paripraśnena sevayā
upadekṣyanti te jñānaṁ
jñāninas tattva-darśinaḥ

"Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him. The self-realized souls can impart knowledge unto you because they have seen the truth."
---Bhagavad-gita 4.34

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?