Passing the Tests

September 5th, 2006--Amsterdam, the Netherlands:
Maya, the material energy, has really tested our determination to engage in a five month around-the-world lecture tour. We could, after all, simply live peacefully and comfortably at our ashram in Austin, Texas, USA.

Due to one complication after another it took us two days of living in airports and airplanes to finally arrive tired and dirty in Amsterdam. After we arrived we discovered that all of my luggage had been lost. I would have nothing to wear except the clothes on my back. We went to the ticketing office to pick up our around-the-tickets and were informed that because ticketing rules the around-the-world ticket I had reserved could only be purchased in London. Therefore we had to immediately fly to London on the next available flight to purchase our tickets there.

By Krishna's grace once we got to the KLM ticketing desk in London there was no problem. As soon as the agent swiped our credit card immediately two sets of around-the-world tickets came rolling out of the printing machine. After three grueling days of being tested whether or not I really wanted to travel and preach Krishna consciousness all over the world for the next five months, to hear the screeching of that printing machine spitting out our tickets was the sweetest music I had ever heard.

Srila Prabhupada one time said that there is no question of glorious victory without strong opposition. Finally getting our tickets after three days of hell was the sweetest nectar.

Answers According to the Vedic Version

Question: What Does "Without Anxiety for Gain and Safety" Mean?...

I am having difficulty understanding the verse in Gita where Krishna tells Arjuna that he should be beyond anxieties for "gain and safety." How does this relate to life in the world where one is always concerned with just that, "gain and safety"? One is always concerned with balancing ones check-book, providing food for oneself and others, driving safely and protecting ones body, etc. etc. So, in the regular state of human affairs, is one not to be concerned with "gain and safety"? I am particularly concerned with the safety issue, because I work in a capacity wherein I drive a vehicle transporting people to their jobs, and while in a way I understand that one should not be overly concerned with the possibility of an accident, for Krishna has promised all protection, still, one must be alert not to cause or be involved in an accident.

And, regarding the protection Krishna promises Arjuna in 18.66 of Gita, I realize that the protection is concerning ones sadhana and the safety and security of the soul, and the protection He will give so we can render devotional loving service unto the pure devotee.

But in practical affairs in this world of samsara, how does one strike a happy balance between being beyond the anxieties for safety and being aware, as Srila Prabhupada says, "padam padam vipadam," there is danger at every step?

Sincerely,

Bruce Gatten

Answer: Do the Needful and Depend on Krishna...

Making proper arrangements for safety and being in anxiety about it are two different things. You do your best, and then depend on Krishna. Just like now I am flying to Europe. I have my seat belt on. This is a recommended safety procedure. However, this does not guarantee the I will arrive safely tomorrow morning in Amsterdam.

I have taken all the safety precautions that are reasonable, but this material world remains a dangerous place in spite of my safety arrangements.

I know that I will not die unless and until Krishna sanctions it. I put myself fully in His hands, that He is welcome to take my life whenever He wants to. Therefore, because I am fully dependent on Him I am not in anxiety. But at the same as a matter of duty, I take whatever precautions are within my power. For the other things that are beyond my control, I depend fully on Krishna.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?