To Actually Be a Disciple

My spiritual master, His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami circled the globe fourteen times for spreading the Krishna consciousness movement all over the world. This is an incredible accomplishment considering that this was done when he was in seventies and eighties. On April 2nd, 1972 in Sydney, Australia he told us, his disciples, that if we were to be actually considered his disciples we must do three or four times as much as he has done. This means that if I am actually to be considered his disciple I must do from forty-two to fifty-six around-the-world preaching tours. My upcoming world tour commencing on 15 September 2008 will be my fifth tour. This will leave another fifty-one to be done. If I can do two every year, I will be in my mid-eighties by the time I will be able to fulfill this instruction I have received from my spiritual master. Feeling myself most unfit and incompetent all I can do is to bow down at his lotus feet and beg for his empowerment that I can actually become his real disciple.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Answers According to the Vedic Version:

Question: What Caused the Big Bang?

In the 11 September 2008 edition of "Thought for the Day" you mentioned that the reason of the big bang is described in the Vedic scriptures. Please tell me what caused the big bang or give me reference where I can find that.

Thank you very much.

Your servant,

Ameeta

Answer: The Glance of Mahavishnu

In terms of Vedic science we can accept the Big Bang theory as valid by understanding what modern science describes as the primordial initial dense condition of the universe to be the mahat-tattva, the total material energy. While the modern day scientists have still not able to figure out what caused the Big Bang, we Vedic scientists understand that it was cause by the glance of Mahavishnu upon the mahat-tattva.

Srila Prabhupada describes this as follows in his purport to Srimad Bhagavatam 9.5.5:

"The word sudarśana means "auspicious vision." From Vedic instructions we understand that this material world is created by the glance of the Supreme Personality of Godhead (sa aikṣata, sa asṛjata). The Supreme Personality of Godhead glanced over the mahat-tattva, or the total material energy, and when it was agitated, everything came into existence. Western philosophers sometimes think that the original cause of creation was a chunk that exploded. If one thinks of this chunk as the total material energy, the mahat-tattva, one can understand that the chunk was agitated by the glance of the Lord, and thus the Lord's glance is the original cause of material creation."

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Sparrow Who Conquered the Ocean

Heart Melting Reunion with Amarendra and Gayatri

Who is this Krishna?